Monday, July 26, 2010

King o' da Orcs



This looked fine in the rough pencil stage, but some very, *very* obvious flaws manifested as work dragged on, particularly in regards to the rendering of those pauldrons/shoulder armor bits. They're supposed to be curved plates, but the lack of shadows on their receding planes and the dead-on, what-is-foreshortening view of the spikes makes the armor as a whole feel like a cardboard cutout. I suppose it could add to the overall whimsy of the piece, but I'm not sure. On a related note, I'm probably going to avoid working at 18"x24" until I get a larger scanner. 15+ scans on an 8.5"x11" scanning bed just to get everything in focus is a pain, let me tell ya'.



Just for kicks, I tried slapping on some digital gradients just to see if that would fix anything. It kind of worked, but now the plates seem to curve into each other instead of overlap.

No comments:

Post a Comment