Saturday, July 31, 2010

Just a Quick Orc Portrait

Not satisfied with "King o' da Orcs," I decided to crank out something quick and orc-related that wouldn't be completely horrible, and this was the result. I'm much more satisfied with this, even if the scan over-emphasized the forehead highlight. Speaking of "King o' da Orcs," I've been tinkering around with it a bit more, and while it's not completely redeemed yet, there has been some progress. I'll post a revised version of the piece if my obsessive editing works out.

Monday, July 26, 2010

King o' da Orcs

This looked fine in the rough pencil stage, but some very, *very* obvious flaws manifested as work dragged on, particularly in regards to the rendering of those pauldrons/shoulder armor bits. They're supposed to be curved plates, but the lack of shadows on their receding planes and the dead-on, what-is-foreshortening view of the spikes makes the armor as a whole feel like a cardboard cutout. I suppose it could add to the overall whimsy of the piece, but I'm not sure. On a related note, I'm probably going to avoid working at 18"x24" until I get a larger scanner. 15+ scans on an 8.5"x11" scanning bed just to get everything in focus is a pain, let me tell ya'.

Just for kicks, I tried slapping on some digital gradients just to see if that would fix anything. It kind of worked, but now the plates seem to curve into each other instead of overlap.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Slight Website Revamp (Rejoice?)

The ol' website's been given a slight revamp, including new navigation buttons and a more organized portfolio section. Nothing exciting, but the streamlined interface makes me happy. Sadly, the old "Welcome" page has been axed in this set of revisions, which renders the above-posted doodle obsolete. I rather like this arm-headed fellow, so I'm hoping to find a project that he'd be suitable for.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Dwarvish RuneTank

I decided to tackle a traditional weakness of mine: vehicle design! Figuring out how the engravings on the wheels contorted was the most difficult part, and were I to do this again, I would probably just draw the design on the underside of a cup and reference from that.